Monday, November 30, 2009

Rebel without a Clue

by Andrew Ulanowski

I put on a uniform and I even took an oath
To defend my country and the Constitution
Against all enemies foreign and domestic.
They let me in (despite my lack of education)
And they told me I was to follow orders
Or find myself in jail for a long, long time.
I shook a little in my boots and did as I was told,
Ironing my underwear in perfect 6 inch squares
So I could be a bett(Silly)er Soldier.

One day I went to the flight line as I did most everyday
And the people in charge tried to put me in harm’s way,
Telling me I should do this and that and the other thing.
The things that they were asking were foolish and dangerous
Designed to make Disabled Veterans out of Silly Soldiers.

I refused. (Silly Soldier!)

They took me behind the bulding at work
And proceeded to threaten me with physical harm.
I stood my ground know(hope)ing they were bluffing.

And they were.

They finally decided that it was time for me to go to jail.
They really thought they had me there.
But I just laughed and said,
“Send me to jail; you’ll all still be idiots
And I will have three hots and a cot
Plus all of my limbs.”
(And I won’t have to lis(ten hut!) to your crap
I thought to myself.)

They muttered to themselves
And probably gave the assignment
To someone else who was still ironing their
Undies in those same perfect squares,
6 inches to a side, shaking in their boots
Not knowing that their loyalty
Would probably cost them an arm and a leg.

See more Ulanowski poetry, under the nom de plume Raul Aqua - and submit your own writing to the site! - at http://www.scribd.com/Raul Aqua

No comments: